Keeping your family safe…
The holidays are here and it takes only a little time and thought to make it safe for your young child who is so curious and is exploring everything that you have around the house this time of year.
All those twinkling lights and sparkling ornaments…how inviting.
- Christmas Trees…make sure they are secure and cannot tip over. Keep the live ones watered and do not block doorways with a tree.
- Lights…use indoor lights only indoors and make sure your outdoor lights specify that they can be used outdoors.Check the wires for any breaks. Never use lights on a metallic tree…this is an electrical hazard. It can actually cause a tree to be electrically charged and cause electrocution. Bubbling lights can break and they are filled with a chemical that is potentially harmful and hazardous. Use with caution.
- Decorations… use only flame-resistant materials. Be especially careful of ornaments that can break and create sharp pieces that can harm your little ones. Also be aware of decorations that have small little parts that could create a choking hazard.
- Fireplaces…keep trees and decorations away from the fireplace and have a screen or closed door around your fireplace while it is burning. Even when the fire is out keep it closed so that your little one is not tempted to play around it and get burned. Do not burn papers in your fireplace.
- Plants...certain house plants are poisonous to humans and pets…check to make sure which ones these are. When in doubt throw it out or give it to someone who does not have pets or children.
- POISON CONTROL– 1-800-222-1222 Keep this website and phone number handy.
- Keep things such as matches, candles and lighters out of the reach of children
- Establish an emergency exit plan if the unthinkable happens and a fire breaks out. Practice this plan and make sure your children know the plan and where to meet when you all get out of the house.
- A little precaution goes a long way and makes for Happy Holidays!