If you are planning on a hospital delivery and on breastfeeding there are questions you might want to ask when you tour the hospital. Supportive breastfeeding leads to successful breastfeeding.
Hospitals can vary very much in their support of the breastfeeding mother. The first few days of baby’s life is so important in the over all successful establishment of breastfeeding.
Arming yourself with good questions and getting the answers from the hospital staff will prepare you for what you will have to do to ensure a good feeding experience for you and your baby.
Some suggestions for a question list:
- Ask your hospital if they are a Baby Friendly hospital i.e.. do they follow Unicef guidelines when it comes to breastfeeding?
- What kid of lactation support does the hospital offer?
- Do they give the moms formula free diaper bags?
- Do they initiate breastfeeding and skin to skin contact immediately after delivery?
- What is the breast feeding policy in the NICU
In my opinion, parents-to-be can never have too much information prior to the birth of their child.
Knowing what questions to ask is part of getting the information that you need at this time of transition to parenthood.