In fact, after the TIME article this week… I am not sure that I want to be mom enough!
These are my reasons why I do not consider myself, “mom enough”!
- I did not breast feed either one of my children…yes there was a medical reason and it was 30 years ago, but so what?
- I did not co-sleep more than one month when my daughters were infants…we did “co-sleep” during thunderstorms when they were older.
- I did not wear my children around the house in a baby sling in fact I did not even know what a baby sling was at that time…. 1980′s
- I fed my children Beechnut baby food and Gerber baby food…I did not make my own until they were toddlers.
- I never heard of Dr. Sears…I had a book by Dr. Spock, which I did not read…I received a Growth and Development newsletter each month in the mail.
- I did not listen to my mother or my other relatives who tried to give advice because I knew enough and had friends around me that had infants and we figured it out together…well sort of…
I could go on… but after my kids’ meager beginnings it probably doesn’t matter what else I DID DO as they grew into adulthood.
- They still talk to me and me to them.
- We celebrate holidays together although it is nothing like the “Gathering“(Christmas with Ed Asner)…
- We argue…we bicker…we hug and kiss…for the most part we respect each other.
- I do not carry around guilt…
- I realize that I did the best I could with what I knew and had to give at the time.